Great Britain passes 10-day mark with no coal-fired generation

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Renew Economy:Great Britain’s recent trend of breaking the number of hours it can go without using coal generation in its electricity mix continues this week as, at time of writing, the country chalks up more than 10 consecutive days without coal.We have been covering Great Britain’s (as distinct from the UK, as Britain’s energy grid does not include Northern Ireland) success at removing coal from its energy mix for some time, now, and so far, 2019 has seen records tumbling like dominoes.In just the past month alone, Britain has increased its record time spent without coal generation from 90 hours over the Easter weekend up to 8 days, 1 hour, and 25 minutes a fortnight later in early May.Unsurprisingly, then, Fintan Slye, the head of Britain’s National Grid, told media in the UK: “I predict it will become the ‘new normal’.”The UK is currently looking to phase out coal from its energy mix completely by 2025. In line with this, coal capacity has fallen dramatically in recent years as various power operators shuttered their projects and transitioned either to nuclear, or more frequently, renewable energy sources.Over the first quarter of 2019, coal generated only 2.9TWh, around 3 per cent, of the country’s electricity – down 37.2 per cent from the previous quarter and down 65 per cent from the same quarter a year earlier. Conversely, renewable energy sources generated 27.2TWh over the same first quarter – 33 per cent of the country’s electricity generation.More: Britain goes record 10 days without coal power – and counting Great Britain passes 10-day mark with no coal-fired generationlast_img read more

Bolivia Assembles its First Advanced Trainer Aircraft

first_img With the inauguration of the Airspace Industry and Technology Center (CITA), in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, on June 1, authorities also introduced two military advanced trainer aircraft, the first two to be completely assembled in Bolivia in the last 20 years. The FAB-540 conducted its first flight presentation during the ceremony, after being assembled at the CITA facilities in a record time of seven days. The construction of the two Foxtrot-type aircraft was completed prior to the presentation, but there is a third model currently being assembled. The first model was called “Gavilán” (FAB-540), and has a capacity of up to four people, while the second one, called “Sayubú,” has a capacity of up to two people. By Dialogo June 07, 2013center_img The new Bolivian Technology Center aims to develop and manufacture novel prototypes of national aircraft, and its operation has been possible with a $240,000 investment, according to the Web page aviaciónboliviana.net. The Foxtrot are also used for liaison, medevac and acrobatics, and have a turbo-charged Lycoming IO-540 engine, reaching speeds up to 426 kilometers per hour, with a maximum operational altitude of 4800 meters.last_img read more

PREMIUM‘Crisis like no other’ will shrink Indonesia’s economy, IMF forecasts

first_imgLog in with your social account Forgot Password ? Indonesia’s economy is on track for a significant contraction this year as the coronavirus crisis has hit the global economy more severely than previously expected, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has forecast.The United States-based institution projects that Southeast Asia’s biggest economy will contract by 0.3 percent this year, according to the June update of the World Economic Outlook titled A Crisis Like No Other, An Uncertain Recovery, which was published on Wednesday. The global economy, meanwhile, is expected to shrink by 4.9 percent.“The COVID-19 pandemic has had a more negative impact on activity in the first half of 2020 than anticipated, and the recovery is projected to be more gradual than previously forecast,” the IMF said, highlighting a reversal of progress on poverty reduction and job creation.“In countries with high shares… Topics : Linkedin Facebook LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Google IMF International-Monetary-Fund World-Economic-Outlook Indonesia economic-growth GDP-growth COVID-19last_img read more

Subsea 7 Stays in Red

first_imgEngineering and construction specialist Subsea 7 has seen recognised loss in the quarter ended March 31, 2019 on activity drop in renewables and heavy lift business units, forex expenses and tax charge against prior-year comparable period.The Oslo-listed firm posted quarterly loss of $19 million, or $6 cents per diluted share, on revenue of $860 million, versus loss of $18 million, or $3 cent per diluted share on revenue of approximately 810 million same time last year.The company reported adjusted EBITDA and adjusted EBITDA margin for the quarter of $111 million and 13 percent respectively, against $103 million and 13 percent in Q1 2018.Total vessel utilisation was 68 percent, up 16 percentage points from the prior-year period.SURF and Conventional revenue for Q1 2019 was $747 million, up $162 million compared to Q1 2018.Revenue for the Renewables and Heavy Lifting division ($173 million) was cut by 70 percent when compared to Q1 2018.Order backlog was $5.2 billion, with order intake totaling $1.1 billion.The company’s guidance for 2019 has been updated, with revenue expected to be in line with 2018 and adjusted EBITDA expected to be slightly lower with net operating income to be positive.“We are now guiding for 2019 Group revenue to be broadly in line with 2018 as we continue to experience a gradual volume-ledrecovery in integrated and stand-alone SURF projects. Our guidance on Adjusted EBITDA being lower in 2019 compared to theprior year remains unchanged. We have started to see increased pricing on tenders for major new projects, but this will take time to materialise in our financial results due to an anticipated two to three year time lag, on average, between tender, award and execution,” said Jean Cahuzac, CEO.Subsea World News Stafflast_img read more

Augustine Beach Boat Ramp Remains Closed for Dredging

first_imgThe Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) has just announced the extension of Augustine Beach Boat Ramp intermittent closure for maintenance dredging through August 1.According to DNREC, the closure of the Augustine Beach Boat Ramp near Port Penn and adjacent intertidal beach located on the south side of the existing rock groin has been extended to complete maintenance dredging of the boat ramp access channel that has been delayed due to equipment issues.During this time period, the boat ramp will be closed from 8 a.m. each Monday until 5 p.m. each Thursday, reopening from 5 p.m. each Thursday until 8 a.m. each Monday, DNREC said in the release.The site parking lot will remain open for the duration of the dredging project.Weather permitting, the project is expected to be complete, with full access restored, by Friday, Aug. 2.last_img read more

Zimbabwe: Crocodile Exports Nets $500 000 in Profits in 2014

first_imgIn Zimbabwe crocodile farming might be a niche business at the moment – with skin exports worth close to  $30 million – this is sector that’s sure to grow.But setting up a breeding farm could take as long as five years – as the reptiles require a special dietlast_img

Buhari Congratulates D’Tigress over AfroBasket Victory in Mali

first_img*Zenith Bank hails league ambassadors in the victorious squadOmololu Ogunmade in AbujaPresident Muhammadu Buhari on Monday congratulated the national female basketball team, D’Tigress, on its victory at the 2017 FIBA Women’s AfroBasket Tournament in Mali and consequently qualifying Nigeria for the 2018 FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup in Spain. A statement by his chief spokesman, Mr. Femi Adesina, said Buhari joined other sports-loving Nigerians in saluting the heroic performance of the victorious D’Tigress over their Senegalese counterpart in the final of the 2017 FIBA Women’s AfroBasket Tournament on Sunday.“The President commends the players for displaying uncommon strength, confidence, skill and dexterity in their victory over the defending champions.“President Buhari urges members of the team and their handlers to remain focused and dedicated even as they prepare for greater glory to Nigeria at the forthcoming FIBA World Cup.“The President assures the team, its managers and the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF) of his support and that of the Federal Government to ensure that they excel against other top competitors in Spain,” the statement said.Meanwhile, Zenith Bank Plc, sponsors of the annual National Women League, yesterday joined other Nigerians in congratulating the D’Tigress over the AfroBasket victory.The Group Managing Director of Zenith Bank, Peter Amangbo, on Monday showered praises on the players for going all the way to make Nigerians proud.He said: “It was a sweet victory for the Nigeria. As sponsors of the national women league, Zenith Bank is a major stakeholder in the sport and we are happy with the feat achieved by D’Tigress“We salute the hard work and determination of the players and officials of the team especially because they won all their matches in the competition.”The Zenith Bank boss however paid special tribute to the three home-based players who made the trip to Mali for the competition. They are Nikechi Akashili, Chioma Udeaja and Upe Atosu.“Let me also congratulate the three worthy ambassadors of the Zenith Women Basketball League- Akashili, Udeaja and Atosu- who joined national camp just after the final of the Final 8 in Lagos.“We are particularly proud that of the home-based players invited out of which three eventually made the team. This is good for our investment in basketball over the years and we are encouraged to do more.”D’Tigress started the competition by beating Mozambique 80-69 in their first game, whipped Democratic Republic of Congo 84-47 in the second and defeated Egypt 106-72 to emerge the first team to book a place in the quarterfinal of the competition.Nigeria also defeated Senegal 58-54 in the last group match, blew out Cote d’Ivoire 98-43 in the quarterfinals and pipped Mali 48-47 in the semis before beating Senegal 65-48 in the final.The victorious team arrived Lagos last night from Bamako.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Badgers skate for national pride

first_imgANDREW SCHORR/Herald photoWhile the majority of the University of Wisconsin women’s hockey team works on their games in the midst of a bye week, four Badgers traveled to Lake Placid, N.Y. to compete for the U.S. Women’s Select Team in the annual Four Nations’ Cup.After beginning their UW season at 10-0-2, senior center Erika Lawler, senior goaltender Jessie Vetter, junior forward Meghan Duggan and sophomore Hilary Knight will get a chance to help the U.S. win the gold in the event for the first time since 2003 and third time overall. From 1996 to 1999, the Cup involved only three teams, with Finland joining the two North American participants. Sweden signed on in 2000 to form the current field.Canada has won the tournament each year the U.S. hasn’t, and Duggan said she looks forward to the challenge.“Anytime you play Canada it’s always a battle,” Duggan said. “They’re great, great games to play in … just hard fought battles, and both teams are great. It’s good hockey, and that’s why we play.”The Canadian team features former Wisconsin standouts Meaghan Mikkelson and Bobbi-Jo Slusar. According to Duggan, the international rivalry can make for some intense on-ice competition and awkward off-the-ice confrontations.“Those are buddies of mine,” Duggan said. “It’s always fun to play against people you know. You go into corners a little bit harder; you start slamming around with them.”“[But] it’s a little awkward,” continued the Danvers, Mass. native. “We’re supposed to be rivals and hating each other, but we’re really best friends off the ice. So, when they’re with their teammates and we’re with ours, it’s a little uncomfortable.” ?Uncomfortable maybe, but none of the four Badgers participating are unfamiliar with this stage. Both Lawler and Knight will be making their third straight appearance competing for the cup, while Duggan is making her second. Although this is Vetter’s first trip to this particular tournament, the senior has represented the U.S., alongside the other three, at the last two IIHF World Women’s Hockey Championships. The team took home the gold last season.Vetter, last week’s WCHA Defensive Player of the Week, said the midseason international tournament is a challenge that will benefit her for the rest of the college season.“It definitely gets me to test my conditioning,” she said. “[It allows me to] see if I’m ready for that type of pace versus those type of players. And obviously it gets me ready and focused for the rest of the Badger season.”Thus far in the college season, all four UW skaters have lived up to the expectations that come along with being selected to play for the national team. Knight leads the nation in goals (13) and game-winning goals (3), despite missing two games with an injury. Lawler leads the team with 11 assists and has moved into sixth place on the all-time Wisconsin women’s hockey points list. Duggan has chipped in four goals and eight assists for the unbeaten Badgers, and Vetter is second in the country in goals against average and save percentage.But for one week, these four must temporarily forget about the cardinal and white while donned in red, white and blue.“It’s awesome,” Duggan said. “I’m really looking forward to the trip It’s obviously amazing to play for the national team and see some of our national team teammates we haven’t seen in a while, so I think it’ll be fun, and it’s great competition out there.”last_img read more

Munster secure home Pro 12 semi-final

first_imgMunster sealed top spot on the Pro 12 table last evening, with a convincing win over Connacht at Thomond Park.Keith Earls’ early try opened the scoring for Munster, and in the second half Conor Murray gave Thomond Park another lift with his return to action.They have now secured a home semi-final showdown with fourth place Ospreys at Thomond Park later this month.last_img

Antigua and Barbuda’s Trade Minister resigns

first_imgAntigua and Barbuda’s Trade and Investment Minister Asot Michael has tendered his resignation from the newly formed Antigua and Barbuda government, amid speculation that he was among Caribbean politicians who had received bribes from a British investor.Resignation acceptedPrime Minister Gaston Browne indicated he has accepted the resignation and asked Governor General Sir Rodney Williams to revoke the appointment.Michael’s departure from the Cabinet is the second occasion within a seven-month period that he has had to forgo his ministerial position. Last October, he was arrested in London while on his way to a conference in France.Previously removed from CabinetBrowne subsequently removed him as the minister of tourism, economic development, investment and energy, but the 49-year-old rebounded to successfully contest the March 21 general election on behalf of the ruling Antigua and Barbuda Labor Party (ABLP).This time round, Michael, who was born in the French Caribbean island of Guadeloupe, has denied the accusation that unfolded in a British High Court last Friday in a matter involving British financier Peter Virdee, whose telephone conversations with his business partner, Dieter Trutschler, in 2016, had been recorded by German authorities.According to the transcript of the document revealed in the High Court, Virdee alleges that Michael had asked him for two million dollars to buy a car for his mother.But, in his resignation letter to Prime Minister Browne, the Parliamentary Representative of St Peter’s, said he had become “aware that recent media reports, emerging from Court proceedings in the United Kingdom, to which I am not a party, have caused anxiety in some quarters of our society and are being used by opposition political elements to seek to discredit me and the Government.” He was therefore submitting his resignation so as to allow “the Government to fulfill its obligations to the people, without any distraction.”last_img read more