May 5, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – The Ivory Coast government this week confirmed the presence of H5N1 avian influenza in birds, making it at least the sixth African country confronting the virus, according to news services.Laboratory results from the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) revealed that seven chickens, nine ducks, and a sparrow hawk found in Abidjan—the country’s largest city and its economic center—were infected with the H5N1 strain, according to a May 3 Agence France-Presse (AFP) report.Officials identified three separate outbreaks in different parts of the city in late April. The government had been awaiting test results from an OIE reference lab in Padua, Italy, since then.Starting next week, officials plan to slaughter all poultry sold in Abidjan, a city of 5 million people, according to AFP.The Ivory Coast ministry for animal production said that $11.7 million has been earmarked to reimburse poultry vendors and to develop a system for identifying disease-free chickens. The government also plans to improve how it informs and advises the public about avian flu.Other African countries that have confirmed H5N1 avian flu since February are Nigeria, Egypt, Niger, Cameroon, and Burkina Faso. Sudan has reported an H5 virus in birds, but H5N1 has not yet been confirmed there, according to the OIE. Egypt is the only African country with human cases so far (13 cases with 5 deaths).In related news, experts warned European countries and the United States not to let their guard down against H5N1, even though the spring bird migration from Africa appears to be waning, according to a Reuters report today.Thus far there have been no recorded cases of avian flu transmitted by migrating birds from Africa, according to the story. France, for example, reported that none of its 60 wild bird cases has come from Africa.Some European countries have begun easing bans on keeping domestic poultry outdoors.Some conservation groups, according to the Reuters article, deny that bird migration plays the major role in the spread of avian flu, saying that the international trade in poultry is more to blame.Some animal-health experts, however, contend that migration is key. Christianne Bruschke, DVM, PhD, head of the OIE avian flu task force, said, “My firm belief is that the migration of birds carries the virus over big distances.”In Indonesia, which has been criticized for not responding aggressively enough to avian flu, officials announced this week a 3-year pilot project to fight the disease in Tangerang, a municipality outside Jakarta, according to a May 4 AFP report.The idea is to apply the national plan to a local area and measure results. The $5 million project in an area of 3 million people includes bolstering epidemiologic surveillance of animals and humans, increasing poultry vaccinations, and rapidly responding to outbreaks with quarantine and movement controls, AFP reported.The project would also enhance biosecurity by restructuring the traditional “wet markets” where live birds are sold, often under unhygienic conditions, the story said.Indonesia has reported the second most human H5N1 fatalities worldwide, after Vietnam, according to World Health Organization data.
By Elroy StephneyTHE Guyana Cricket Board/Ministry of Education-sponsored National Secondary Schools Cricket League (NSSCL) will bowl off shortly on the Essequibo Coast.According to the Secretary of the Essequibo Cricket Board (ECB) Auto Christiani, ‘the Board is awaiting a timely response seeking permission from the Department of Education to commence the competition. He further stated that an ‘email was already sent to the Department and he is hopeful that a positive response will be forthcoming’.Meanwhile the participating schools will be Charity, 8th of May, Anna Regina, Cotton Field, Johanna Cecilia, Aurora and Wakapoa Secondary.Last year’s Zone winners were Anna Regina Secondary School who will be seeking to successfully defend their honours and even climb a step further at capturing the national title.Their chances will be led by national Under-15 players Sheldon Charles and Lance Roberts, both of whom have been in fine form during the local club competition.When the competition commences, matches are scheduled for the Imam Bacchus ground in Affiance, Walton Hall and the Anna Regina Community Centre ground.Significantly the tournament has sought to identify the hidden talent of countless promising players emerging from the county thus providing the ECB to further expose them to formal coaching and other related programmes.The successful players will also form the core of the inter-county teams in a further bid for national selection.The ECB have recently tasted success at the senior level by winning the GCB 3-Day Franchise League tournament which the Board is hoping will inspire teams from the youth level.Last year Boomesh Ramdahin from Anna Regina Secondary registered the lone century for the Essequibo Zone when he stroked an unbeaten hundred against Johanna Cecilia Secondary School.
The proposed cost is different from the N50 million ($138,888) earlier released by government to fast track the completion of the complex.Dalung’s speech was delivered at the session by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Youth and Sports, Abdul Razak Salau.The minister said with the financial guarantees by government, the ANOCA office would be commissioned in due course.He also offered government readiness to collaborate with the continental body in its mission to uplift sports in Africa.The meeting in Abuja scheduled to end on Thursday is the inaugural meeting of the board since the members were elected in Djibouti in May.ANOCA President, Gen. Lassana Palenfo, thanked the Nigerian government for building the headquarters for sports in Africa in Abuja.The executive committee has scheduled a working visit to the headquarters construction site today.Palenfo also lamented that hosting the flagship All Africa Games was becoming expensive and difficult for African nations.He said ANOCA was negotiating with the African Union (AU) and would table the matter at a meeting in Addis Ababa on August 17-18.The army general similarly echoed doubts about the ability of Africa hosting the Olympic Games in the futute given the cost of staging the biennial and multi-sport events.“I must confess you need money and infrastructure to host Olympics. Are you ready to hold it in Nigeria? You need communication, stadiums, security and so on. It is not easy; you must be a realist,” Palenfo counseled.The President of the Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC), Habu Gumel, said the meeting would discuss the development of sports and the African strategy for Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, where it hopes to improve on its medal haul at both London 2012 and Rio 2016.Other matters on the agenda include, consideration of ANOCA Constitution and proposals for amendments, updates on the 3rd African Youth Games, proposals on setting up of ANOCA legal and ethics commissions and discussions on maiden African Beach Games.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram *All Africa Gamesâ€™ future on AU agendaOlawale Ajimotokan in AbujaThe Federal Government has graciously offered to bankroll the completion of the headquarters of Association of National Olympic Committees for Africa (ANOCA) in Abuja.While declaring open the 52nd Executive Committee/Ordinary Session yesterday, Sports Minister, Solomon Dalung, said that Nigeria was prepared to spend additional N314 million ($872,277) to complete the headquarters project.
SAN FRANCISCO >> Carl Crawford doesn’t even want to think about Boston. Asked about his two-year stint with the Red Sox, he stared at his locker and then turned his head disapprovingly.“I really don’t want to talk about Boston anymore, especially right now with where we’re at,” he said. “I’m trying to leave that alone right now.”Asked about his new home in Los Angeles, Crawford’s face lights up.“I like everything about it,” he said. “I’m from Houston and it reminds me a lot of Houston — without the heat.” Since coming to the Dodgers last summer in the so-called “Big Trade,” Crawford has found a comfort zone after two turbulent years marred by injuries and subpar results in Boston.Crawford signed a seven-year, $142 million contract with the Red Sox after nine years with the Tampa Bay Rays.Despite some injuries and inconsistency, he’s played a key role in leading the Dodgers to their first playoff berth in four years.“The comfort level’s been amazing,” he said. “I guess you can say it’ s a little different.”Crawford hit a combined .260 (117 for 506) over two seasons in Boston. He played in just 31 games in a forgettable 2012 season in which he underwent separate wrist and reconstructive elbow surgeries. Going into Thursday, Crawford was batting .283 with five homers, 28 RBI and 15 steals. Injuries have continued to be a problem, though. A hamstring kept him out of the lineup for more than a month, and back problems have flared up in recent weeks. Crawford says he feels healthy now though — and just in time for a postseason that starts next week. He appears to have emerged from a prolonged slump, going 5 for 9 in his last two games in San Francisco that followed a dreadful 5-for-42 clip going back to Sept. 4. “My body feels better right now,” he said. “I just have to try to maintain it, keep it good for the playoffs.”Crawford’s health could prove critical to the Dodgers’ World Series aspirations, especially with the uncertain playing status of outfielder Andre Ethier, who’s out with an ankle injury. Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said he’s been encouraged by Crawford’s play, noting he’s been more aggressive on the base paths, a positive indicator from a health standpoint. “He could be a big factor for us” in the playoffs, Mattingly said.A healthy Crawford, with his combination of above-average power and blazing speed, can potentially impact a series, Dodgers third baseman Michael Young said.“I played against him a long time in the American League and he’s definitely a game-changer,” Young said.Crawford’s speed alone is something opposing teams will have to prepare for.“If he gets on base and there’s a ball in the gap, he’s going to walk home,” Crawford said.Utilityman Nick Punto, who came with Crawford from Boston along with first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and pitcher Josh Beckett, sees Crawford flourishing in his new environment.“I think he really enjoys playing in L.A., it’s a place he’s very comfortable playing in,” Punto said.Crawford has provided some intangibles along with some impressive physical tools, Punto said, noting his work ethic and leadership haven’t gone unnoticed.“He’s one of the first ones in the batting cage and he’s always prepared to play,” he said. “He’s one of those guys who doesn’t say a whole lot but when he does everybody listens.”Crawford admits he’s excited about a return to the postseason, something that didn’t seem possible after hitting rock bottom last year, when Red Sox fans and the Boston media branded him a malcontent.“I’m in a good position right now, I’m happy to be where I’m at,” he said. “I went through a lot the last two years. I’m just happy to be right here where I’m at.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
Now we’re into July, the return of football is tantalisingly close.Transfers are being made, pre-season tours and friendlies are just starting to take place around the world, and new kits are being released.Add to this, the qualifying rounds of the Champions League and Europa League are well under way, and a British team has already been eliminated.We’ve got a good idea how must clubs in the Premier League are going to look, but what about the biggest clubs in Europe?Click the right arrow above to see how the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, and Juventus might look… 10 10 10 Is this how Borussia Dortmund will look in 2017/18? – As Peter Bosz takes charge, it’s likely Dortmund will adopt a 4-3-3 formation. Is this how AC Milan will look in 2017/18? – There has been a dramatic overhaul at the San Siro this summer and they will look to challenge at the top of the table. 10 Is this how Paris Saint-Germain will look in 2017/18? – There are no big changes for the Parisiens just yet. Is this how Real Madrid will look in 2017/18? – How do you improve on the back-to-back Champions League winners? It’s unlikely there will be huge changes, unless they swoop for Kylian Mbappe. Is this how Bayern Munich will look in 2017/18? – The arrival of Niklas Sule and Sebastian Rudy could see Carlo Ancelotti change things up in Bavaria. Is this how Roma will look in 2017/18? – Having lost Mohamed Salah, Antonio Rudiger, and Francesco Totti this summer, this XI has had to be tinkered with, but new boys Rick Karsdorp, and Lorenzo Pellegrini are young and hungry to succeed. Is this how Barcelona will look in 2017/18? – No major signings so far, but a new right-back is likely, and Paulinho remains a possibility. 10 10 10 Is this how Inter Milan will look in 2017/18? – While their rivals have spent a huge amount of money on new players, Inter seem to be lagging behind and could still lose Ivan Perisic. Is this how Juventus will look in 2017/18? – Will the arrival of Patrik Schick spell the end of Mario Mandzukic’s first-team run? 10 10 10 Is this how Monaco will look in 2017/18? – If Benjamin Mendy leaves, expect Jorge to step up into the left-back role, while Youri Tielemans will come in for Tiemoue Bakayoko.