The head of Worcester College has been criticised after he encouraged students to oppose a new accommodation building for Exeter students. The plans, which entail a redevelopment of the former Ruskin College buildings, are to take place on the northern perimeter of Worcester’s grounds and seek to provide around 100 rooms of accommodation for Exeter’s students.Worcester’s concerns are founded on the “excessive elevation” of the proposed new building and the “inappropriately garish and intrusive materials proposed for its roof and upper level”, according to an email received by students last week.The email then goes on to inform students of the ways in which they could make valid complaints to the council, should they so wish, and warns them that a simple complaint such as “I don’t like the look of it” would not suffice. This is followed by a list of objections that would be deemed valid according by the council, focusing mainly on issues of design and scale.The message concludes by stating that if a student objected to the plans after taking “a few minutes” to look over them, the college would be “most grateful” if they made this objection known to the council. Exeter’s JCR President, Edward Nickell, has criticised the email, telling Cherwell, “The Provost has an obligation to protect heritage sites on his land, but he should recognise that the student priority should be for more housing.“He has to defend the site, but it’s above the call of duty to encourage students to do the same.” Exeter has already compromised on the materials used on the wall of the building. However, Worcester still objects to its height.Exeter currently offers accommodation to all first year students and 30% of finalists, whereas Worcester are able to offer accommodation to undergraduates for three years.Exeter’s Rector, Ms. Frances Cairncross, explained the difficulty in reaching an agreement over the height of the building. “To meet Worcester’s request for a reduction in the height of the roof line at the western end of our site would mean the loss of 14 student rooms. “As Exeter is particularly short of student accommodation, the consequence would be that 14 of our students each year lost the opportunity of city centre accommodation at affordable rents.”Worcester’s Provost, Professor Jonathan Bate, explains the email by asserting that “The JCR, MCR and Governing Body asked me to keep them informed as to whether a compromise had been achieved, and to let them know how to object in the event that it wasn’t.”Worcester’s Provost, Professor Jonathan Bate, explains the email by asserting that “The JCR, MCR and Governing Body asked me to keep them informed as to whether a compromise had been achieved, and to let them know how to object in the event that it wasn’t.”Nikita Hayward, a first year Worcester student, commented, “If Exeter College took the top storey off their proposed development, and chose more discreet materials for their building (especially that of the roof) then they could still provide more space for their own students.” Yet one Exeter student said, “I hope that even after only taking ‘a few minutes’ examining the application, Worcester students will recognize the positive impact of the proposal and the consideration of the local community. “Hopefully this will persuade students, despite the attempts of the Provost, what a wonderful proposal for our College, local community and University this is.”
Inter Link said it was set for solid growth in 2007, after admitting it had “bitten off more than it could chew” in 2006.Speaking as it released its interim results for the six months ended November 4, chief executive Chris Thompson told British Baker that the company had made “important strategic moves” in overhauling its infrastructure in 2006.These included moving to central distribution, doubling capacity at the Soreen plant and preparing for the closure of its Hoppers Bakery site in Herne Bay, scheduled for February.However, Inter Link was now in a solid position and set for organic growth and a possible acquisition later in the year, he said. Its plans for 2007 include relaunching the Mrs Peaks Christmas pudding brand in time for Christmas and expanding the Polish factory from 70,000sq ft to 85,000sq ft.An acquisition could be on the cards after Inter Link’s share price had recovered from a “rocky ride” in 2006, he said.Thompson also suggested that there may be further opportunities for consolidation in the UK during the year, although the company had no immediate plans for closures.Inter Link said sales were down 6.8% to £62.6m in the six months to November 4, and pre-tax profit was down 47.8% to £1.93m.
Sandwich chain Pret A Manger has confirmed it is being courted by a number of private equity firms since revealing plans to float the company to fuel expansion in the USA.Simon Hargraves, commercial director, said: “The shareholders have not ruled anything out at the moment. People are putting other deals on the table, but they are still working towards an IPO (initial public offering) later this year.”On the prowl are thought to be Lion Capital, Bridgepoint and PPM, all of which have a track record in buying and selling food firms. Lion was involved in the bidding war for Cadbury’s Soft Drinks and Brakes, while Bridgepoint, a joint owner with PPM of Lyons Seafoods, also owns a stake in ethnic brands producer WT Foods.Pret, which was expected to be valued at more than £300 million, has 150 stores, including 12 in New York.Hargraves said: “We struggled in New York, but over the last three years we have tailored the offering to the US market while still keeping the integrity of the Pret brand. We are now in double-digit growth and the potential has expanded dramatically – hence the need to finance quite a rapid expansion plan. We are looking for 40 stores in Manhattan, then perhaps moving towards Boston and Washington.”
Tesco is looking to further rival its competitors in low prices with the launch of its Big Christmas Price Drop promotion today.Following on from the £500m Big Price Drop launched a couple of months ago, it will see thousands of prices dropped on everyday items such as bread, milk, meat and vegetables to help during the festive season.The first Big Price Drop brought in over 100 million transactions through the tills and more than 13 million Clubcard customers, of which 90% saved money.Richard Brasher, CEO of Tesco UK, said: “In these tough times, customers are understandably concerned about the cost of Christmas, but are still determined to celebrate with their families. We have some great seasonal promotions on offer in stores as you would expect, but for customers on a budget we understand that Christmas is about the products you need to buy each week as well as the treats.”The national supermarket chain has faced stiff competition on in-store price reductions from Sainsbury’s, which launched a similar cost-cutting promotion called ‘Brand Match’ two weeks after the Big Price Drop. It aimed to rival Tesco and other leading supermarkets, such as Asda, by calculating the price of branded goods in a customer’s shopping basket and offering a coupon for the difference in price should it be more expensive.Brasher added: “Big Price Drop wasn’t a one hit wonder. It is a rolling campaign to help customers and today we launch the Big Christmas Price Drop – reducing the price of 1,000 more everyday products that reflect what customers need to buy at this time of year.”Tesco posted its worst quarterly sales performance for two decades in October, with sales falling by 0.9% in the three months to 27 August, excluding VAT, petrol and new stores.
Pinterest Child TV Chef from Gary suffering from extremely rare disease WhatsApp Previous articleTexas-based mattress company to build new facility in La Porte, bringing 350 new jobsNext articleSuspect in serious injury crash in South Bend facing charges Tommie Lee A young TV chef from Northwest Indiana is facing an incredibly rare disease.Ben Watkins became a fan favorite on Season Six of the Fox TV competition MasterChef Junior when he was 11. Two years later Ben became one of only six people in the entire world diagnosed with an incredibly rare soft tissue tumor.A GoFundMe page was set up for Ben, who lost both of his parents at a very young age, to help him continue to work toward his dreams of becoming an engineer. Google+ By Tommie Lee – August 19, 2020 0 654 Twitter Facebook WhatsApp Twitter IndianaLocalNationalNewsSouth Bend Market Pinterest Facebook Google+
Several members of staff from Addo Food Group’s Spalding Bakery hiked up to the top of Snowdon to raise £3,659 for Cancer Research UK and Smile charity.The baking staff battled through a heavy storm to reach the 7km Rhyd Ddu path that took them around three-and-a-half hours.The walk was in aid of raising funds for Cancer Research UK and Smile charity, which was set up in memory of a local boy who died from a form of cancer at the age of 14 in January 2013.Spaldings Bakery operations director George Dickson told local newspaper Spalding Today: “Winds near the summit were gusting at 60mph and the train and café at the summit were closed due to the weather. We asked people to choose which charity they wished to support and we were extremely pleased and grateful to all our colleagues and friends who donated to two very worthwhile causes.“As a local business we feel it is very important that we give something back to the local community and we have plans to do further fundraising events over the coming months.”The bakery was established by Albert Pacey in 1909 when it was based in Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire. It was then moved to Spalding four years later, initially on New Road, before moving again to Red Lion Street in 1916.
Delhi city officials offer incentives for businesses to stop using coal FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Reuters:Authorities in the Indian capital Delhi approved measures on Tuesday to encourage businesses to use clean energy as one of the world’s worst polluted cities stepped up the fight against deadly air pollution.The Delhi city government gave the go-ahead for financial incentives for restaurants switching to electric or gas tandoor ovens from coal, its food and supply minister Imran Hussain said on Twitter, without elaborating.The city cabinet also approved various incentives to industries switching to piped natural gas, said Hussain, who is also Delhi’s environment minister, as the cheaper, safer and less polluting fuel is consumed across the domestic, commercial and industrial sectors.A report by the World Health Organisation (WHO) in May said India was home to the world’s 14 most polluted cities, with Delhi the sixth most polluted. Air quality has worsened in New Delhi in recent years, prompting Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s office to monitor measures to clean up the capital’s air directly.Last November, India’s top court upheld a ban on the use of petroleum coke, a cheaper and dirtier alternative to coal composed mainly of carbon, in and around New Delhi.More: Delhi backs incentives for clean energy switch to combat pollution
The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) has published its latest estimates of the likely impact of the coronavirus on international tourism. Given the unprecedented introduction of travel restrictions around the world, the United Nations Specialized Tourism Agencyexpects international tourist arrivals to decrease by 2020 to 20% in 30 compared to 2019 data. “Tourism is one of the hardest hit of all economic sectors”, stressed UNWTO Secretary-General Zurab Pololikashvili, adding that tourism has joined forces to find a solution by working together to mitigate the impact of the crisis, especially on employment, and to support broader recovery efforts by providing jobs and economic prosperity around the world. The expected decline between 20 and 30% could translate into a drop in international revenues from tourism (exports) of 300-450 billion US dollars, which is almost one third of the 1,5 trillion US dollars that were realized in 2019. Taking into account past market trends, this would mean that COVID-19 will lose the growth achieved between five and seven years. Putting this in context, the UNWTO notes that in 2009, on the back of the global economic crisis, international tourist arrivals declined by 4%, while the SARS epidemic led to a decline of only 0,4% in 2003. Source: UNWTOPhoto: Pixabay It is clear that millions of jobs in the sector are at risk, and according to UNWTO estimates, about 80% of all tourism businesses are small and medium-sized enterprises. In addition to this new assessment, the UNWTO emphasizes historical resilience and the ability to create jobs in post-crisis situations, while emphasizing the importance of international cooperation and ensuring that the sector becomes a central part of recovery efforts. However, the UNWTO emphasizes that these numbers are based on the latest developments facing the global community. These are unprecedented social and economic challenges that need to be interpreted with caution given the extremely uncertain nature of the current crisis.
MORE NEWS: Coast apartments contributing to the average Australian home’s reduced size Quade Cooper and his partner Laura Dundovic are selling their Brisbane home. Picture: Adam HeadA GOLD Coast real estate agent is helping celebrity glamour couple Quade Cooper and Laura Dundovic market their Brisbane property.Ed Cherry of Sophie Carter Exclusive Properties is used to selling real estate on the southern Gold Coast but jumped at the chance to co-list rugby star Cooper’s luxury Bulimba residence.More from news02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa14 hours ago02:37Gold Coast property: Sovereign Islands mega mansion hits market with $16m price tag2 days agoMr Cherry has also been helping them out by showing them property on the Gold Coast.“I’ve been assisting Quade and Laura for some time now and have been sourcing them various property ventures on the Gold Coast,” he said.Cooper and Dundovic put the property on the market earlier this month. MORE NEWS: Inside Quade Cooper and Laura Dundovic’s Brisbane property.
More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus12 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market12 hours agoThe ‘super penthouse’ is at Parkridge Noosa. Created by award-winning local developers Altum Property Group, Parkridge Noosa aims to push the boundaries of design and innovation and this approach has been well received, according to director Alex Rigby.“With sales exceeding all expectations, only a limited number of premium apartment opportunities remain available, including one prime penthouse we have just released,’’ Mr Rigby said.“Our architects Blackburne Jackson have risen to the occasion by creating a stunning design for our super penthouse. This is the biggest and best apartment we have for sale, the 400sq m home features 298sq m of internal floor space and around 101m of balcony, including one which is 23.5 metres long.“The penthouse features three vast balcony spaces enveloping the home and enabling residents and guests to capture the sun on all sides throughout the day, while the home’s secure four car garage is a very rare find in any apartment development,”“ Our interior design team have maintained the neutral, textured and tonal palette throughout the apartment in keeping with the Parkridge coastal aesthetic.’’Sales consultant Jeremy Gilmore said there was a growing appetite for large penthouse homes in Noosa with buyers wanting to reduce their maintenance work outside the homes while not compromising on space, innovative design and quality inside. ‘Super Penthouse’ at Parkridge Noosa. Photo: SuppliedIt’s been dubbed a ‘‘super penthouse’’ and is sure to appeal to wine connoisseurs. Parkridge Noosa’s latest release to the market, a massive penthouse, features a north-facing oversized balcony along with a spacious butler’s pantry with two large wine fridges.